Time: 2 hours
1kg lamb leg, cut into cubes (with bones)
1 tsp. fresh ground ginger
1 tsp. fresh ground garlic
¼ tsp. turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
3 pepper corns
1 star anise
2 tbsp. clarified butter
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 large diced onions
400g of chopped tomatoes
½ tsp. red chillies
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. freshly chopped coriander (for garnish)
Salt to taste
The Clay Oven Bakery naan bread
- Wash and drain the lamb.
- Once drained, tip into a bowl and add the ground ginger, ground garlic, turmeric, cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves, pepper corns, star anise and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat the clarified butter and vegetable oil in a pan. Add the onions and braise until golden brown on a medium heat.
- Add the lamb to the onions and brown evenly.
- Add to the lamb/onion mix the chopped tomatoes, chillies, cumin powder and ground coriander and simmer gently for five minutes.
- Add one litre of water. Bring to the boil and then let the mixture simmer for one hour. Be sure to stir the pan at intervals and add extra water if needed.
- If meat is not well done, continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with your favourite Clay Oven Bakery naan bread.